Skip to content
Top Reasons to Apply to the UT Counseling Psychology Program
- In-depth understanding of Social Justice (SJ). We were the first program to operate from a Scientist-Practitioner-ADVOCATE model, which is a unique and wonderful component of our program!
- Strong sense of community within the program
- Faculty commitment to SJ at various levels (including community activism and scholarship)
- Beautiful area with many greenway trails to run, bike, hike, and close to Smoky Mountains
- Students develop and implement a social justice project in the community, which is another unique component to our training model.
- A lot of LGBT support among faculty and students
- Good teaching training and opportunities to customize and teach a variety of courses
- Wide range of practicum opportunities (e.g., counseling centers, drug & alcohol rehabilitation, community mental health, domestic violence center)
- Opportunity for collaboration across labs to other areas of psychology since we are housed in a Psychology Department and have associations with our Clinical Psychology and Experimental (Developmental /Social /Biological) Psychology programs
- Strong student/faculty communication, including students advocating for themselves during a Student Caucus each semester and Student Representatives who sit in on faculty meetings
- Opportunity to have a big impact on the community, outside of the social justice project
- Low cost of living in an active city with a host of opportunities for art, entertainment, and high quality restaurants
- Centrally located to many major cities (e.g., Nashville, Atlanta, Asheville)
- Travel funding is offered for presenting at conferences