The Department of Psychology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, offers undergraduate work leading to the B.A. degree in psychology. The curriculum ensures exposure to the breadth of experimental and applied psychology, while also allowing flexibility in choosing courses that fit students' unique interests. In addition to standard coursework, students may also earn credit toward the degree from hands-on experience doing research with faculty members or volunteering in local community agencies.
Why should you consider a major in psychology?
Psychology is one of the most popular majors, both at UTK and nationally. Why? Because psychology is:
- Fascinating – psychology is the scientific study of behavior and mental processes. What could be more interesting than understanding learning, aggression, prejudice, motivation, attraction, memory, diversity, development, emotion, mental illness, personality, and so on?
- Relevant – because psychology covers the breadth and diversity of behavior and experience, you are certain to learn things you can apply to yourself, your relationships, and your work.
- Useful – this psychological knowledge, combined with the skills you obtain in scientific inquiry and critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication make the psychology major one of the most versatile.
- With a BA in psychology, you can enter careers in education, law enforcement, public relations, advertising, human services, research, and many more.
- Students with a BA in psychology also go on to medical school, law school, or graduate school in psychology, counseling, education, or social work.
- The UT CEnter for Career Development provides links to several web pages which discuss career options for psychology majors who are interested in a career in psychology or a related field.
For more information, you can also visit the American Psychological Association and Association for Psychological Science . If you are interested in graduate school, the Psi Chi website has links to helpful web sites.